What is Career Counselling for school students?
Career counselling for school students will help your child to take a decision on what group (subjects) to choose in std 11 & which course to go for after 12thstd. We need to start preparing your child to think about his career goals from std 9 itself, for career choice.
What will happen in career counselling?
Career counsellor will talk to the student about themselves- their strengths, blindspots, special abilities, their dreams- & establish a good rapport.
Take up career assessments (paper pencil work):
1.Know your aptitude (knowledge),
2.what you are interested in?- your child must first know what s/he interested in &
3.what kind of career suites your personality.(every person is different- introverts (sit separately & work, in laptop or in research- book reference) some are extroverts(want lot of people around, out going, indulge in teamwork& some people like travelling a lot).
Discuss the test scoring. Parents too can discuss.
Career counsellor will not decide the career for you. s/he will aid you in the decision making process.
Don’t choose your career for silly reasons, A few suggestions from cases I’ve seen:
1. First group (science /maths/computer science)-students who study well, commerce-Management-average & Humanities (psychology/sociology/economics/mass media) is less.
2. Some parents push their child into Medicine/ Engineering because it’s a prestige & status symbol.
3. The parent (mother/father) wanted to become a Lawyer/doctor/Engineer but couldn’t for whatever reasons, so impose it on her/his child.
4. Your office colleagues, relatives or neighbours opted a course for their child and trying to impose it on you.
5. Astrologer suggested it, actually that girl wanted to do biology related course but made her take computer science.
6. College is close to house, so chose whatever course is available.
Student concern what course can fetch you more money. I want to do that course. (This thought has entered the child’s mind through elders). Scientific approach is very important.
Dear parents you need to take up a scientific approach to help students choose their career. Please sit & talk with your child and take him for career counselling. Every individual is unique with a different skill set. What is suitable for you doesn’t need to fit the other person too.
If you are confused about choosing a group please meet a career counsellor. Believe in your child, his thoughts (mind).
Swathi Priya. P